Saturday, March 21, 2009

Little Bee

Yesterday I bought the book "A Long Way Gone" by Ishmael Beah at Borders book store. In the novel the author describes his true past as a child soldier in Sierra Leone and his rehabilitation process. I heard him speak two weeks ago at the Community College in Jacksonville and I have been wanting to read his book ever since. A Borders employee showed me where the book was, and upon telling him my obsession with Africa history referred me to the book "Little Bee" by Chris Cleave. Suprisingly, he told me the book is about two Nigerian women who lived ordinary lives until oil was discovered, and how they coped with problems to come. I plan to read after I finish "A Long Way Gone" (which has kept me reading so far). I tried to look up a synopsis of "Little Bee" on the internet but there are no in-depth description because the author does not want too much of the story to be revealed without reading it. Here is the description on the back of the book:

WE DON'T WANT TO TELL YOU TOO MUCH ABOUT THIS BOOK.

It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it.

Nevertheless, you need to know something, so we will just say this:

It is extremely funny, but the African beach scene is horrific.

The story starts there, but the book doesn't.

And it's what happens afterward that is most important.

Once you have read it, you'll want to tell everyone about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens either. The magic is in how it unfolds.

1 comment:

  1. richard,

    lol i actually do read this :) its really awesome! when you finish long way gone may i borrow it or do you need it for a paper or something? ive been wanting to read it for a while...

    thanks
    - the killer panda

    ReplyDelete